Response to Super Amazing Wagon Adventure
Super Amazing Wagon Adventure has now been out for about two weeks, so I think it's not a bad time to collect up some links to the press coverage so far. The response has been pretty incredible.
- The XBLIG: "zany, bite-sized fun." The reviewer liked the randomness and thought it was fun but thought a few scenes were too hard.
- IndieGamerChick: "I think it might actually make you stupider while you play it." She had fun but found it frustrating. Overall it's a positive review.
- Short and Sweet Reviews: "It's fast-paced, extremely satisfactory, and gives you more weapons than what Teddy Roosevelt can shake a big stick at." 9.2/10
- Indie Games Reviews: "As a homage, this is a wonderfully quirky action thriller with more than a fair share of zany scenarios to come across and a dark sense of humor that outdoes the blood and gore in terms of mature content." 9.3/10
- Indie-Love: "If you don't absolutely love this game I hope you die of dysentery."
- Indie for Breakfast: "This is the crappiest most awesome game I've ever played in my life."
- Gamers Dissent: "Really really bizarre and random but still somehow sort of fun and charming."
- I'm Right, You're Wrong: This is a really fun video with a girl and a guy playing together. I really liked this video because it reminded me of watching my girlfriend playtest the gameľa lot of the game design was created to torment and frustrate my her.
- D3adM3rchant: This is part one of three videos playing the game.
- gamesradar: "I've been playing it for a couple of days and am still having fresh, glorious madness thrown at me."
I should note that this isn't a comprehensive listing. These are just a few of the highlights that I dug up for this post.
It's needless to say that I'm pretty blown away by the press response. However, what's been even more humbling and gratifying has been feedback I've gotten from individual gamers. I've gotten some really amazing comments here, on twitter, and on reddit. People seem to like the game in general, and some people seem to really like the game. I'm extremely happy about that.
Sales are also doing quite well. I don't want to give hard numbers just yet--partially because it's still a little too early to tell what the long term result will be and partially because I'm afraid I'll jinx it. That said, no matter what the long term sales are, the game is already a definite success to me.
I'm currently hard at work on the PC version of the game, which should come out before the end of August. I'm going to do my best to incorporate the feedback I've gotten from the Xbox release and make the PC version as good as I can. I'll also be adding in some new content (new random events and such), just for fun. The improvements and new content will also make there way back into the Xbox version (hopefully at the same time as or soon after the PC release), so don't worry if you've already bought the Xbox version.
To close out this post I'd like to say thank you to everyone who has played the game and especially to all the super kind people who've given me feedback or support. This has been amazing experience for me, and I owe that to you all. Thank you!
5/12/13: Removed a dead link.